How do I transfer a chat session?
In LibraryH3lp, follow these steps to transfer a chat to another service provider:
- Before you transfer, ask the patron if they would like to be transferred (you may wish to use the Chat - Transfer script)
- Ask in Campfire to see if one of your colleagues can take a transfer
- When you're ready to transfer, click the transfer button in the toolbar above the typing area (the icon with two arrows)
- In the box that pops-up, select to transfer the chat to "users" and in the drop-down select the service provider you are transferring to and click "Ok"
- Back in the chat session, you will see a message that the chat is being transferred
- Note: If you send a message to the patron while the transfer is in progress, you will re-claim the chat and the service provider on the other end will not be able to respond to the patron
- Wait until you see a message that the chat has been successfully transferred (e.g. answered by bceln-sadie-p) and the chat background greys out
- Once the transfer has been picked up by your colleague, you can close the chat on your end by clicking the "X" button in the top right
Note: You can add tags before transferring or when you close the transferred chat and these will be captured in the session data.
This short screencast (1min 30 sec / no audio) shows you how to transfer a chat to another service provider.
Known issue: Transfer is not going through
There's currently a bug when trying to transfer what's called a "proactive outbound chat" (note: this is not related to proactive chats):
- This is a chat that you initiate with a patron by selecting them from your contacts list (usually under "recent guests" or "current guests"). Typically, you would do this if you accidentally closed a prior chat window and then re-opened the chat, or if you closed it and then found new information to send the patron later.
- Due to a bug, transfers for this particular type of chat will not work. This issue has been reported to LibraryH3lp.
- If you need to sign off of your shift, one option is to let the patron know you're experiencing a technical issue with transfers and ask them to come back with their question in a few minutes for a colleague to answer after you have signed off. The new service provider can access the prior chat history using the "today's chat with guest" link in the new chat window.